- Runners must finish the lap within 1 hour
- The next lap starts on the hour every hour after that (signalled by the bell)
- Participants must be in the starting corral (pig pen) at the bell
- Warning will be given 3, 2, and 1 minutes prior to the starting bell
- Runners may not leave the course until each loop is completed (once the bell goes you must complete the loop before any support is given/taken
- No support to be given/taken from anyone during the loop – no gear, food, or liquids. The only support allowed is a quick verbal encouragement as you pass by
- No pacing
- No artificial aids (including poles). Music is OK but please be aware of other runners
- Slower runners please allow faster runners to pass
- No more than 3 runners on the swing bridge at any time
- The winner is the last person to complete a loop when all others have given up. All others are technically DNS (did not start) or DNF (did not finish)
- If no runner can complete one more lap than everyone else, there is no winner
- Please report to the timing area when you decide you can no longer go on
- No littering
- No open fires in camping area (camp stoves are allowed)
- Obey any instructions given to you by race officials
- Be respectful and look after one another
- Be respectful of other track users
- No hunting
The Pig Route
The campsite is located in a paddock at Whare Flat. From the pig pen in the paddock it’s a 6.71 km route with about 130m of vert through some lovely native bush and including a historic water race.
Mostly the trail is very runnable. There are a few stream crossings so you will get wet feet and near the end there is a swing bridge.
More details to come of course…
We have a nice grassy area at Whare Flat with enough space for all Backyard Ultra participants to set up 1 tent for you and your support crew. Please consider sharing tents if you can.
You will need your own water, food and camping equipment. There is a creek nearby but considering runners are going through it upstream every hour you may not want to drink that.
This is a self-supported event with no aid stations provided.
There is no power so bring your own resources for lighting and charging up your gadgets.
We will provide toilets.
$65 for the first 30 entries
$80 after the first 30 entries
10% of each entry will go towards charity